Mobi Groups
Download Free Apps & Games @ PHONEKY.com

KozyKorner - Topics
Create Your Own App Store

* KozyKorner > Topics

Subject: Art Of Beadwork
Replies: 7 Views: 1400

seastarr 2.08.08 - 03:58pm
The Art of Beadwork is beautiful, creative and functional. Beadwork is the art of stringing or sewing beads to each other, cloth, clothing, or leather to create beautiful patterns or designs. In this topic we can explore the exciting world of creative beadwork. blossom.GIF *

seastarr 2.08.08 - 04:40pm
I am a member of the Native American Choctaw Tribe. Beadwork is an ancient Native American Art. I have posted a link here to the official Native American Beadwork Site. I learned many techniques of this Ancient Art from an experienced Native American Beadwork Artist. In Native American Beadwork the beads are traditionally sewn to each other, sewn to leather or fashioned on a loom to use as belts, hatbands, decoration for flutes and other items used in daily life. Medicine bags or wampum bags are decorated. *

seastarr 2.08.08 - 04:57pm
In traditional pattern that differ from tribe to tribe. Geometric, floral, kachinas, and tribal symbols are a few examples of some of the traditional patterns used by different Native Amer. tribes. Originally Native artisans used seeds, sea shells, porcupine quills and colorful feathers and incorporated into the designs. With arrival of the Europeans about 500 years ago came the introduction of glass beads. Native artisans quickly incorporated these into their designs. Making for even more beautiful art. *

seastarr 2.08.08 - 05:12pm
Some beadwork techniques were considered 'sacred' and were only used for decoration of religious articles used by the tribal Holy Man or Medicine Man as he is called. Peote stitch is one of these stitching techniques. Tribal elders long since allowed these beadwork techniques to be used on any Native American Beadwork. They did not want the art to be lost by limiting it's use so severely. Peote is now commonly used on objects with round or cylinder shape because of it's unique property of literally sewing *

seastarr 2.08.08 - 05:25pm
One bead at a time in a brick laying type pattern. It is my personal favorite of all of the techniques. It was the first technique I learned and is a very beautiful stitch pattern. I make cylinder shaped key chains and beaded ink pens using the peote stitch. I have also used it to bead the round tubing on stethoscopes. If ur pattern gets broken very few beads are lost and ur piece is easily repaired when this stitch is used.. Intricate bead designs can be created using peote graph paper and colored pencils *

seastarr 2.08.08 - 05:40pm
To draw out ur design before begining ur beading. The colored pencils lets u see How ur design colors are working together before commiting ur self with the beads. Peote is difficult to take out if u change ur mind. Especially when using deer skin to stitch ur design on. Deer skin is a very soft supple leather to work with. Undyed it is a beautiful golden tan color. But can also be purchased in a large variety of colors at leather shops. My favorite continues to be natural color deer skin. blossom.GIF *

seastarr 2.08.08 - 05:49pm
Note: Peote stitch should not be confused with Brick stitch, they are similar but very different stitches Peote stitch has a curve to the stitches that gives it a beautiful uniqueness. Brick stitch literally looks like brick wall pattern to the beads. I posted links here to some of my favorite beadwork sites. rose.GIF *

jewely31 5.08.08 - 04:27am
Wow...clapping.GIF very interesting sisi mwah.GIF thanx 4 d information rose.GIF *

* KozyKorner Forum

Search:
topics replies

* KozyKorner

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits